Horrifying images are circulating social media after a man decided to share his pain in hopes that it would serve as a warning to others. As it turns out, the man couldn’t walk for an entire year as his foot was blistering and bleeding the entire time – and it was from a common habit that many people have.
A Texas man who wanted his identity to remain anonymous states that his most recent experience was too important not to share. According to Mail Online, the man states that he was training for a marathon and decided to hit the local gym.
Although he usually brought the things he needed with him, one day he forgot something extremely important. Unfortunately for him, his forgetful mistake would result in him spending the next year in complete pain and unable to walk before deciding to go through with voluntary surgery.
During a few visits to the gym, he would reach into his bag after a long workout only to see that he had left his shower flip-flops behind. As he worked out on his lunch break and didn’t want to go back to work stinky and sweaty, he decided to go ahead and just take a shower barefoot.
However, this would be the biggest mistake of his life as he quickly realized that something was wrong. “Within a fairly short amount of time, I noticed there was a spot on the bottom of my foot that began to itch. when I touched it, it was a bit harder that the rest of the flesh around it, but I didn’t think anything of it,” the man wrote. “I figured I had just stepped on something and it was my body’s response to the foreign object. I quickly found out that I had contracted a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot.”
Sadly, the next year would turn into a literal hell on earth. Not wanting to impact his workout regimen, he decided to try a series of home remedies, but when that didn’t work, he sought out a professional.
What occurs next is some of the worst pain I have felt, and something that I have endured for over a year. My doctor started treating my wart with cantharidin, an agent made from a beetle that causes the area it comes in contact with to blister. The idea is to get your body to recognize that it is trying to fight something and to kill the infection naturally. Every week I would go to the doctor, have the agent applied, have my foot blister and be in pain for the next few days. Each week the doctor would cut away the blistered skin, and apply it on the fresh skin underneath.
Unfortunately, this didn’t work either, and one wart soon turned into five, prompting him to find another doctor. However, his treatment didn’t change as the new medical professional decided to continue with a much higher concentration.
After several months of pain, the man finally decided to opt for a voluntary surgery to have the warts removed once and for all. With the help of a skin graft trial made from the scales of North Atlantic Cod, he states that he’s finally able to lightly walk on his foot for the first time in over a year.
Although he’s still getting around with the use of a knee scooter, he states that his foot is finally starting to heal and that it should only be about a month before he’s back up to full speed again. In the end, he wants to make sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone else and hopes that his experience can serve as a warning to others.
“Do yourself a favor, wear shoes in any public area where there is water,” he wrote. “This virus thrives in those areas. The scary thing is, the virus can live for over two years on the surfaces as well. Take care of your feet so they can take care of you.”
At a time where common courtesy and consideration for others is in short supply, you can never be too careful. After all, it’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your health – especially when you have people willing to cast the safety and health of others aside for their own convenience.